Saturday, March 28, 2009

TRANSCENDENT MAN

The movie TRANSCENDENT MAN, a documentary about Ray Kurzweil, is set to premier April 24th. I have been reading up on Kurzweil on occasion for about five or so years now and am greatly excited for this film. I am both fearful of the Singularity and am excited to be living while it is nigh. But I get this great feeling of pressure right now, that everything on which I have been working relentlessly - music, novels, writing in general, studying, all sorts of relationships, etc. - has a deadline. It's almost as if once the Singularity occurs, we will be living in an afterlife of sorts, where I fear all we have created in our age will become obsolete and irrelevant. I am pressured by the idea that I have to become so radically novel to the point of impossiblity for what I do to matter in the very near future. Sure, it might matter in the present. But that's the point. The Singularity is so close to happening that the present time-space shrinks more and more and at a quicker rate up until the point of Singularity where maybe all of this we are doing will simply no longer be of relevance. It's like, I imagine, I have some fatal disease and I must hurry to complete my life work. Perhaps this is my misconception. It probably is. But what happens to Whitehead's creative advance if we get to a point where our novelty and nuance becomes irrelevant? What will concrescence mean? All things, after all, organic or not, fuel concrescence. But as Pynchon tells us, "Paranoids are paranoid not because they are paranoid but because they deliberately...put themselves into paranoid situations." Check it out: www.TRANSCENDENTMAN.COM.

No comments: